Remembering our Philanthropists

Author: David Cornish, Executive Officer, Prince Alfred College Foundation.

Prince Alfred College was established 150 years ago through philanthropy; men and women with the shared vision of a Methodist school for boys. Fifteen decades later, the College continues to enjoy strong support in its mission and thanks its community, for showing their faith through a philanthropic gift.

However, in the last few months I have been saddened by the deaths of several major donors to the College, men and women I’ve been privileged to know and to work with in furthering their philanthropic visions. Let me tell you about them.

Two years ago Murray Evens (1939-40), established the Murray Evens Scholarship for an all-round achiever and was pleased that the first recipient commenced at the College this year.  Murray was the grand age of 94 at his death in March.

Jean Lang, who died in May aged nearly 98, was a member of the well-known Davey family and wife of Jim Lang (1927-33), in whose memory she had recently established the Jim Lang Scholarship.  Jean also presented the College, in 2017, with a fine painting of Victor Harbor by Sir William Ashton (1889-97).

I was also saddened by the death of Marjorie ‘Spook’ Hassell aged 98 in June. Mrs Hassell, established some years ago, the Colin Hassell Scholarship, in memory of her husband Colin Hassell AO (1919-28). Since its inception, five boys have benefited from her Scholarship.

I also pay tribute to Peter McBride (1935-42), who died two weeks ago and would have turned 93 this month.  Peter gave generously to the RED Centre project, and dedicated his gift in memory of his brother Keith (1927-35), who was killed on active service in the RAAF in North Africa during World War II.  Peter also strongly supported the College’s vision of a new boarding house and gave a significant gift towards its construction. I was proud to speak about his Prince Alfred College links, at his memorial service.
(Photograph from L-R: Peter McBride, Marjorie Hassell, Jean Lang and Murray Evens).

I give thanks for the lives and generosity to Prince Alfred College of Murray, Jean, Marjorie and Peter.

Fac Fortia et Patera.

David Cornish
Executive Officer, Prince Alfred College Foundation.
Prince Alfred College