A Gathering of the Decades

Author, David Cornish, Executive Officer, PAC Foundation.

Prince Alfred College was swamped on Saturday 27 July with Old Reds from across the decades as they participated in the special PAC Sesquicentenary Old Collegians’ Reunion Day, one of the key events in Old Boys’ Week and the College’s Sesquicentenary celebrations.

Over three hundred men participated and heading the list were the boys who left the College in 1959, followed by those from 1969, 1979, 1989, 1999, and the young men of 2014. At a special assembly Old Boys enjoyed the opportunity to hear of the life of the College from the Captain of the School, Headmaster and PAOCA President. The assembly concluded with a rousing rendition of Ou˙r School Coloursand was followed by tours of the College, and for some it was the first time they had been back to the school since their graduation. Decade groups then gathered for reunion meals at venues across Adelaide.

Please enjoy some of the lovely comments made by our Old Reds.

“I am a farmer and grazier at Canowie Belt (20 km east of Jamestown) and we have an average rainfall of 420 mm. Five hundred Dohne/Merino ewes keep me busy in semi-retirement. The facilities at the school blew me away. The Boarding House is stunning and the programmes in hand for the boys’ physical and emotional care are exceptional. The curriculum gives a wide grounding for life after school, and the character-building time at Port Turton and Melrose has received high praise from families. The 60-Year reunion was for me, a great day. We had lots of laughs, comparing our life in the old boarding facilities on the top floors of the Old Building with today’s home like atmosphere. Personalities and events recalled in Garry Brown’s toast to the school, and his reflection on school life and the influence on him of various teachers was brilliant, and stirred memories good, and some not so good”.
John Staker, Class of 1959
Jamestown

“I was a part of the class of 1969 Fifty Year reunion group and what a great day we had! I caught up with blokes I haven’t seen since the day I left school and met with others that I have been able to keep in touch with.At the assembly we were treated to an inspiring speech from the Headmaster, Mr Bradley Fenner, and also the Captain of the school Henry Hawkins. Henry spoke to the Old Scholars on life at PAC and represented the boys very well. As I am involved with the hospitality industry, it was good to see Old Scholars’ names on the labels of the beers and wines we enjoyed at lunch”.
Barry Lang, Class of 1969
Victor Harbor

“I am currently self-employed running a Drafting & Design business at Paringa in the Riverland of South Australia. I’d like to thank the Deputy Headmaster Mr Neil Andary (another great Riverland product) for his tour of the school; the campus redevelopment is mind blowing including world class boarding and sporting facilities. It is great to see the original Main Building restored to its former glory. The school is moving forward, constantly keeping ahead of the game. The highlights of the day were the warmth and recognition from old mates, some of whom I haven’t seen for at least twenty years and chatting with my old Headmaster Geoffrey Bean”.
Henry DuRieu, Class of 1979
Paringa

“At the Reunion Day it was impressive to see improvements and development to the campus over the last thirty years, and more importantly the positive evolution and advancement of the school culture was on display. It’s always great to catch up with old mates, and to re-establish connections. For me the highlight was discussing the diverse experiences enjoyed by my peers throughout the country and overseas”.
Andrew Davey, Class of 1989
Maitland

“I am a Dentist in Broken Hill and several of my patients are current boarders at PAC. It was great to see how they live having heard from them all about the new Boarding House. I love to treat these young men as they tell me about the goings on at the school, and it cannot be clearer that passion for the college is as strong as ever.  After hearing the current Headmaster, Mr Bradley Fenner, speak about the proposed strategic direction for the school, it is clear that the college is well governed, and will continue to be a strong and positive presence within South Australia and beyond. I look forward to one day sending my boys to Prince Alfred College”.
Thomas Cocks, Class of 2009
Broken Hill