In 1946 John Haigh commenced in the business established in 1915 by his grandfather, Alfred Haigh, in the Beehive Corner building. Half a century later Haigh's Chocolates is synonymous with South Australia and renowned throughout Australia for its quality product.
In 1950-51 John Haigh studied the art of quality chocolate making in Switzerland and retail marketing in America before returning to Adelaide with new equipment and new ideas for production and shop styles. Under his guidance the company changed dramatically and expanded to Victoria with new product and retail outlets. Today Haigh's has a wide range of award-winning chocolates, all of which are made at their factory in suburban Parkside.
John Haigh was appointed Managing Director in 1959. He was joined in the business in the 1970s by his sons, Alister (PAC 1961-1967) and Simon (1964-1970), who were appointed Joint Managing Directors in 1990.